PDA

View Full Version : honda nc50 1980

drdave2006
01-24-2013, 07:23 AM
Can someone point me in the right direction (not One Direction.haha).My newly aquired nc50 has no spark.Does the battery supply power for the spark. Can crank over and headlight will shine.With and without key turned on. Getting a new battery for it in a few days.regards david.

tate
01-24-2013, 07:22 PM
No the Express will run sans battery BUT don't do it because starting it without a battery will blow pretty much every bulb on the bike. The battery is the voltage regulator on the early Expressi.

As for why you have no spark thats pretty uncommon on an Express. Truly those things run forever.

First things you are going to want to do is swap the spark plug (B6HS if memory serves me but look it up because my memory doesn't serve me often) and go in and clean the breaker points.

If that doesn't do it then you are going to have to chase the spark from the stator all over. You could just hard wire it to (stator to coil to plug) to see if its a wiring issue.

There is actually a guide written specifically to resurrecting a neglected Express.

http://mopedriders.org/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=8

Expressi are kickass bikes and some cheap and easy modifications can get them up near 50mph.

I built an upper 40s (47mph top speed on the flat GPS confirmed) for a little over $300 including the cost of the bike.

drdave2006
01-25-2013, 02:44 AM
Turned out to be dirty points. took stator out and had a good look and clean.has had moisture in there before.also noticed it had no key in the shaft. broke a wire on the stator so may mess around and fix it.or may buy a new one. thanks for reply. david.

drdave2006
02-07-2013, 06:52 AM
the exhaust is not sealing to the engine. the end of the exhaust looks like it should have some sort of flange on the end . so the clamp can pull up tight to make a good seal. i have what looks like a washer ,but it is not attached to the exhaust. hoping someone maybe able to post a picture of what the end should look like. thanks david

drdave2006
02-07-2013, 06:59 AM
looking for some leads to find all the choke parts that go in and screw into the carb. thanks david